2014 Review Extravaganza - Oct-Dec

I was out of town and didn't get to link up to finish my 2014 year end review, but, I'm going to do it by myself anyway, because the OCD-ness in me hates to leave things unfinished.

October
We took a drive up to the local ski resort one night to see the Fall colors. It was beautiful, but freezing, then we decided to have dinner the Prairie Schooner, where you sit and eat in covered wagons. They have real stuffed animals around like mountain lions, rattle snakes, bears, and other things, which Jack thought was pretty cool. The dinner itself was way overpriced and we didn't get to enjoy it at all because Jack kept crawling under the table and the baby kept trying to eat the covered wagon while I was holding him, because he didn't want to stay in his car seat. At one point I looked up and saw some guy staring at me and my wild baby. I wanted to yell, "Take a picture, it will last longer, dork!" But I didn't.



I got to go with Jack and his pre-school to Black Island Farms to a pumpkin patch. It was my first time as well as his doing something like this and we had a lot of fun.


The weather was unseasonably warm this Fall, so we enjoyed ourselves outside as much and as long as we still could. I took the boys on two " Nature Adventures", as Jack calls them, one to a local reservoir and another on a nice local trail. It was beautiful and I loved being outside with my boys. Looking at the pictures makes me wish it was nice outside again. Hopefully only 3 more months of cold. * sigh *



We enjoyed Halloween by carving pumpkins, going to our church Halloween party, and of course, Trick or Treating. Jack was a stegosaurus. I made his costume. It took me forever to make the dumb tail and spikes. Next year, I may just finally buy a costume. But, he liked it.




November
I started taking some medication this month which forced me to wean Willem from breastfeeding to formula and the bottle. I was happy to have been able to nurse him for 7 1/2 months, and that he had breast milk for 8 months. I feel like I gave him a great start in life, and truth be told, it has done a world of good for me to not be nursing anymore. I nursed my oldest for the whole first year, and I feel good about 7 1/2 months with Willem. I guess we'll see how long I can go with the third.

My husband was great and stayed at home with the baby all day one Saturday to transition him over to the bottle while Jack and I got to go see "Big Hero 6" and have lunch together. It was so nice to spend time alone with my oldest, since we don't get to do that so much anymore.


For Thanksgiving, I was unfortunately pretty sick, but we just stayed at home as a little family. Brent made an awesome turkey with braided bacon on top, and we enjoyed ourselves in our sweats. It was great!


These are some of my favorite pictures from this month.





December
I cannot believe how fast December came and went. It seems like it was always one of the longest months as a kid, now it is one of the shortest as an adult! Too much to do, too little time.

It was fun decorating our tree a little differently this year. I normally do a big fancy tree and we have our smaller, more traditional tree downstairs, but we just do not have the space for two trees anymore. So, we just hung up our ornaments we have received throughout the years on the main tree and kept it easy, also throwing on some colored blinking lights. I have to say, it has been a lot of fun seeing this tree and we may do it again next year!



I got to take Jack to see a children's musical, "A Year With Frog and Toad", by SLAC. We had a great time enjoying our Mommy/Jacky date. I love getting to spend some time alone with him.


We went and saw the lights at Temple Square in Salt Lake City. It was so warm, that we all probably would have been fine with a jacket and hats. That is the first time I have ever looked at the lights in my entire life without freezing my arse off. It was nice! Both boys were great and we had a nice time.


Jack went with me to take some cookies to the neighbors and I'm glad I took him. He had fun actually giving things to others rather than just receiving. I was happy to give him that experience. We had a great Christmas, just as a family of four. We had Christmas Eve sushi, which my husband made, watched a short religious DVD, opened Christmas pjs, had peppermint ice cream/hot chocolate floats, watched Mickey's Christmas Carol, the kids went to bed, and we watched Christmas Vacation while finishing wrapping presents. So far, it has been one of my favorite Christmases. Jack has been saying for the past 2 weeks, "This is the best Christmas ever!"


Christmas Eve Sushi!

We spent New Years Eve in Idaho with my family, enjoying a night of games, laughter and good food.

It has been good for me to look back on this last year, to see all of the good that has happened, to see how much my boys have grown and changed, to see how much I have also grown (in all ways, including my waist and butt line (yikes). I'm grateful for what 2014 brought, I'll be honest, I'm even more grateful it is over, and I'm very, very excited to hopefully have a great 2015!

Comments

Popular Posts