Christmas Crafts and Cookies

We've been having a lot of fun around here lately, amidst a lot of stress. I think I mentioned in my last post that Jacky and I are reading a Christmas book every day to count down to Christmas and trying to do some sort of activity with it. Some days the activity happens, other days it's just too busy. I figure he's still so little, he has no idea whether we do the activity or not. Sometimes we do two activities on one day. Whatevs.

Last week two of the stories we read were The Little Fir Tree and The Snow Queen (which was really weird, but whatever, it came in the children's Christmas story anthology that I bought for Jack last year). We did our activities for both of these on the same day. We cut out and colored a fir tree and made a crown for Jack (or rather, I did while Jack chewed on the markers and colored pencils and attempted to eat crayons). He had a great time doing just that, plus also including his own interesting art work. Here are a few pictures. Don't judge my awesome art work. This is how it goes when you're doing stuff like this with a 15 month old.
He loved wearing his crown. He even wore it before nap time while we read stories.

That is the work of a true artist folks!

Over the weekend we read A Baker's Dozen and Frosty the Snowman. I decided to have us make sugar cookies for the neighbors for our Baker's Dozen story. Sometime this week we're going to make sock snowmen, when I get up the energy and the time. Jack loves to see what I'm doing when I'm cooking or baking, so sometimes I scoot up a chair and let him stand on it and watch.

Here are a few pictures of our baking adventures yesterday. Don't judge my awesome outfit (sweatshirt and Santa pajama pants - it was Sunday afterall). I'm also wearing my awesome Christmas apron my mom gave me a few Christmases ago, so I decided Jack should also wear an apron, especially since he was enjoying playing in the flour. I'm really hoping that he'll like to cook, so he can help out as he gets older. That's right, start the child labor early!



Today we read Night Tree and we might attempt to make some food for birds on string. I got this idea (the whole book/activity thing) from this site on Pinterest, in case anyone is wondering. I can't take credit for it. This is just a little bit of the fun we're trying to do this month.

As I said above, there are a lot of extremely stressful things going on right now and I have felt myself sliding down a slippery slope into a depression because of current situations. But I am trying really hard to focus on the things that really matter and do fun things like this every day with my little dude to keep things bright. I don't want to paint a picture that things are oh-so-perfect at the White house, but we are having a good time doing these little things and keeping our focus on the true spirit of Christmas. I'm extremely grateful for the things that I have like a roof over my head, cars to drive, a TV and Netflix (yes, I love TV, it's no secret to those that know me well), and most importantly for my little family. That's what it's all about.

Comments

loonysuse said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
loonysuse said…
2nd try, Hi I'm Susie too. Found your blog by accident. Laughed at some of your posts because they sound like me...playgroups were a challenge, staying home for Thanksgiving, one son, etc.
Hoenes Family said…
What a great idea to read a Christmas story every night! We just read the same Christmas story over and over again and I get tired of it! I like the idea of doing an activity every day as well. My girls would love that. You are such a fun mom.
Lisa said…
You okay? I miss seeing you. Call me or come over if you need to get out. Seriously. I miss our Costa Vida chats!

Popular Posts