My Hope For the Future

I'm not quite sure what to write today, in terms of my feelings about the election results last night. I knew it would be an extremely close race, but deep in my heart I really thought that Mitt Romney was going to win. (Yes, this is obviously who I voted for). It's amazing and discouraging to me to see how completely divided our country really is. It is hard not to be depressed by this. The thing is, is that I am very good friends with people that voted for Obama. It honestly blows my mind how or why people would want four more years of what we've been through. I sincerely do not understand. It makes me angry, confused, frustrated, and depressed. I was crying really hard last night when the results came in, because I just can't help but worry that there is no hope for this country or for my son's future.

But, today, I am trying to have hope. I did wake up feeling sick to my stomach and cried a little more. It's okay for me to be sad about the results and grieve what I really, really hoped would be a good change and step in the right direction for America (in my opinion anyway). The thing that is so difficult about politics to me, is that it isn't black or what or straight down the line. I think there are major faults from both candidates and major amazing things that both could bring to the table. I understand some of the reasons people did not vote for Mitt Romney. I just hope those same people can understand my reasons for not voting for President Obama.

I just wish that, as cheesy as it sounds, we really could all get along. Like I said, I am friends with some extremely liberal, left wing people. I do not agree with a lot of their lifestyle choices or viewpoints, but I love them so much for who they are. I'm sure they feel the same way about me, and that's okay. I just wish there was a way for our country to come together, to compromise, to respect one another. It feels like everybody is so concerned with 'their way or the highway'. Our country will never recover until we can learn to work together.

As a registered Republican, I admit that I am extremely frustrated with my own party. We are a party divided against each other. It's no big surprise that the Republicans did so poorly overall last night. My own party cannot even agree on things together. I am not a Tea Party supporter (sorry, I think they are quite fanatical), but I am not completely left wing either. I am what I consider to be a moderate Republican.

In any case, I am trying to have faith that President Obama can do a better job in these next four years, now that he has some actual, literal experience behind him, and that he can put the good of our country ahead of his own ego and agendas. I really, really, hope so, because I do think he has the potential to be a great leader. I just personally have not witnessed any true signs of it yet.

A nation divided against itself cannot stand. Reading part of President Lincoln's House Divided speech makes me think that we, in some ways, are in the same position as a nation as it was during his time.

"A house divided against itself cannot stand. I believe this government cannot endure, permanently, half slave and half free. I do not expect the Union to be dissolved — I do not expect the house to fall — but I do expect it will cease to be divided. It will become all one thing or all the other. Either the opponents of slavery will arrest the further spread of it, and place it where the public mind shall rest in the belief that it is in the course of ultimate extinction; or its advocates will push it forward, till it shall become alike lawful in all the States, old as well as new — North as well as South"

Obviously we're not talking about slavery in this day and age, but rather, our major issues that we can't seem to agree or compromise on. This is what truly has me terrified for my family's future. I hope that in the next four years, our nation can somewhat come together and learn to compromise and move this country forward, learning from our mistakes. I hope.

Comments

Michelle said…
I can't believe he got elected either...not with the state of the country today...no better than 4 years ago! I've been blue today too and trying to find hope...and endurance for the next term.
Like you, i had a lot of confidence in Mitt and then went to bed with a pit in my stomach.
I woke up cranky and decided that since there is nothing I can do, I will put on a happy face and move forward. My town is Republican so it seemed everyone was a bit depressed Wed. My son loves Obama, hates Republicans, but he didn't vote this year even though he is 22.
Unknown said…
The division in our country scares me. If you look at the popular vote- we're divided almost exactly in half. We need things to change.

Popular Posts