How My One Year Old Taught Me How to Make Friends

I am not the world's most sociable person. Don't get me wrong, I have friends. But I've always been a close-friend kind of person, not a hang-out-with-everybody-and-their-dog kind of person. This worked okay growing up, but has not worked out so well for me as an adult.

Now that my son is getting older, it's really important to me that he has other kids to play with, because he is an only child (right now anyway), and I don't want him to be spoiled or socially weird. So, this has forced me to go out of my comfort zone.

Until last year, the way I made friends was either with people I went to college with or worked with. I've lived in the same neighborhood for seven years and have managed to make a few 'good' friends, but I wasn't really forced to put myself out there; until this past year. Now, as a stay at home mom, I have finally realized that the only way I'm going to have any friends is to actually walk up to or call someone and ask them if they want to do something. This used to freak me out in the past, and I still get a little nervous about it, but it's actually not too bad since I've been forcing myself to do it.

I'm learning that this is kind of like dating, in a way. The thing is, is that I was never good at dating either, as in dating a lot of different people. I'm a very monogomous person. I suppose I'm friend-gomous too. But I've just been telling myself that I can go and hang out with (or rather, have play dates) with people, and if we just don't really click, that's okay. It doesn't mean the person hates me or my kid (and even if they do, very few people would say it in person). We can still be nice to each other and it's all cool.

The thing that I'm starting to realize is that in the past, I didn't force myself to make friends with people in my neighborhood, because I was looking for close friends (you can't help but become close friends with some of the people you go to college with and work with). I'm realizing that it's okay to just have friends. Not everyone has to become a close friend. It's okay to just have people to hang out with, even if you'll never end up telling them your deepest, darkest secrets.

On another subject, we had a big winter storm here this week. It has totally thrown me into a funk, because, isn't it supposed to still be Autumn? Stupid snow. We tried to play in it, even though I don't have a coat, hat, or proper mittens for Buddy yet. We made due. He wasn't quite sure what to think about, especially after he face planted in it. There really was a face impression in the snow, poor kid.



Tonight we went to my church's Halloween party and Buddy got to wear his Halloween costume. I know I'm biased, but I think he looks so cute. He had a great time eating spaghettios and running around with a plastic spoon all night. Ah, the little things in life. He didn't really care about the Trunk or Treating, just ran around in the parking lot. Whatever makes him happy. He went to bed an hour past his bedtime, so he was a tired little giraffe.  We had a great night!
Buddy holding Gerry, his giraffe.

Sophie looks like she has creepy laser eyes.

Chewing on his blessed plastic spoon. I think he found it on the floor. Gross, I know, but that's what happens when you let your hubby watch the kid and you run back home to get the candy.

Off in his own little world.

Comments

in the coop said…
One of the beautiful things about raising kids is the fact that they force you to grow and learn right along with them. It isn't easy finding friends when the kids are small. It just takes time and courage. Buddy is a cute litte giraffe!

Popular Posts